Ribbon Craft

Inspiring creativity through exquisite ribbon!

Ribbons featured in can be found on our website
Over the Moon Ribbons

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jumping the Broom

Can you believe it’s the end of January? Hope you have some fun planned for February.  I like February, my birthday falls in February, I think there are a few Presidents days involved, Valentine’s Day, and the superbowl.

I just spent last week working on a wedding in Manhattan. It was a lovely wedding with a winter theme. There were seven designers working on the flowers.  I was the personal flower person. After I have finished all the bouquets, boutonnières, corsages , flower girl things, ring bearer things etc., I put them to bed  in a refrigerated space to wait for the big moment.

I then step into my role as the fru fru girl adding ribbons bows more fresh flowers to lovely baskets and containers filled with mounds of tulle. It looks so special when presented to the bridal party.

Delivery day we all play the role of Jacks and Jills of all trades including sweeping and cleaning if necessary. On a wedding of large scale, much of the work is done on premise.

Since we are talking about weddings, did you ever hear of Jumping the Broom?

During the days of slavery when African American couples were forbidden to marry, ceremonies that could be performed secretly developed to celebrate a union; one of them is Jumping the Broom.

The bride and bridesmaids decorated the broom with ribbons and bows before the ceremony.  The broom was the symbolic act of sweeping away the old life and celebrating a new life together. A basket of ribbon was usually placed at the ceremony so family and friends could symbolically show their support by tying pieces of ribbon onto the broom. I think this sounds so sweet and charming.

I have never decorated a broom, but I have decorated a long piece of ribbon with a garland of greenery and flowers for one wedding. When the ceremony ended the couple stepped over the ribbon and into their new life together. The flowers dried nicely and they we incorporated into a decoration for their home.

I love to hear of different traditions, if you have some to share please be in touch.
If they don’t include ribbon, I am sure I can figure out a way to make it into a ribbon project.

Next week I think we will do another valentine craft, stay tuned, and keep your creative juices flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment